Minecraft has been updated to version 1.7.2 and can now be downloaded via the launcher.
This update adds lots of new features as well as lots of technical improvements. The network system for example, has been completely remade in this version.
Great changes ahead !
The new update is titled “The update that changed the world” – most likely referring to the new types of biomes introduced in this patch.
Whats new in Minecraft 1.7.2 ? Here is the list of changes:
- World generation
- Double the amount of biomes available, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world type option.
- Less ocean, more islands.
- New blocks
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained (colored) glass – with both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be made bigger!
- Added more type of fish (e.g. the blowfish).
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments.
- You can now put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall.
- Lots of new colors for lots of blocks.
- Less lag.
- Achievement & Statistics overhaul
- Now both world (or server) specific.
- In multiplayer, it is now announced to everybody, when someone get an achievement.
- You can move your mouse over this in the chat, to see what it was.
- Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
- Zoomable achievements screen.
- Multiplayer enhancements
- Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in their folder, that will appear on your server list.
- You can see who is online, before joining a server (just move your mouse over the player count).
- Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes.
- Resource pack changes
- You can now have multiple selected.
- They can completely re-do your sounds, adding new ones or changing current sounds.
- Servers can now recommend a resource pack for you to use.
- Chat & command improvements
- New commands to spawn mobs or blocks of any type.
- Command block minecart.
- Clickable links to achievements and items.
- Click on somebodys name in the chat to message them directly.
- Lots of technical work
- Completely rewrote how the network (multiplayer) works.
- Completely rewrote the sound manager.
- New graphics options.
- Basic shader support testing.
+ Added lots of new biomes!
+ Added “AMPLIFIED” world type
+ Added Acacia and Old Oak wood types
+ Added Stained Glass
+ Added Packed Ice, Red Sand, Podzol
+ Added a bunch of new flowers, including double-height flowers and grass
+ Added more types of fish
+ Fishing rods can be enchanted
+ Achievements are now world specific
+ Gaining achievements now announced to other players
+ Added a few new achievements
+ Servers can now have a “server-icon.png” that is displayed in the multiplayer list
+ You can see who’s online before joining, just hover the player count number in the server list
+ New /summon command
+ Added Command Block minecart
+ Links in chat are now clickable
+ Click on somebody’s name to send a private message
+ Added a bunch of new graphics options
+ Added some shader tests (click on the “Super Secret Settings” a couple of times…)
* Biome placement has been improved, and oceans are smaller
* Portals to the Nether can now have different shapes
* Fishing is now more interesting
* Maps in item frames are now extra big
* The achievement screen is zoomable
* Preparations have been made to offer name change in the future
* You can now have multiple resource packs loaded at the same time
* Resource packs can now hold sound effects
* Servers can recommend resource packs
* Network code has been rewritten
* Sound manager has been rewritten
* Many many bug fixes…
– Removed the Rose flower
– Removed Herobrine
Download Minecraft 1.7.2 via the Minecraft launcher !
As you can see, there is several enhancements in this update, the biggest news in this version is all the new biomes that has been added. A new world type called “Amplified” has also been added. This is a world type that consists of many large hills and mountains which dwarfs even the extreme hills seen in all other world types. Here is a screenshot of the new AMPLIFIED world type:
This world can be hard to survive in, since caves hardly generate in the hills. It is also quite easy to find yourself in a situation, where you can fall to your death due to the height that these cliffs are made, since the world is trying to go up to the absolute limits. In Minecraft the World Type is described as “Just for fun” and that it requires “beefy computers”, meaning you need more than just a regular notebook to get a smooth experience.
Another option in this new release, is that you can select more than one resource pack. This way, if there is no texture or sound available in the first resource pack, it will use the next resource pack for this particular texture/sound whatever is missing.
This is a neat little feature.
Watch this video of all the new features in 1.7.2: