Super Hostile is a series of challenging CTM (Complete The Monument) maps for Minecraft, with an emphasis on really giving the player a proper challenge. If you’re thinking you’re not dying enough as it is, then here’s some maps for you!
As they are Complete The Monument maps, the main goal of this map is to complete the maps monument, which are scattered throughout the maps. If you’re not familiar with monument maps, usually they are completed by finding a block the monument requires, often some differently colored wool. The wool is often found in a chest located in hard-to-reach areas around the world.
In the Super Hostile Series, you will have to find the differently colored wool, and in some cases, blocks of iron, gold, and diamond.
The map also has some rules which are to be followed if you want to play the map as intended:
- You may not craft, pick up, or move Ender Chests.
- You must find and complete the victory monument.
- You may craft the iron, gold, and diamond blocks.
- You will find the wool in chests (fleecy boxes) or on special boss enemies (fleecy mobs) scattered throughout the map.
- You may not use dyes or spider string to craft wool for the monuments!
- Play on at least the easy difficulty, never on peaceful. The maps are balanced around normal difficulty.
- You may not leave the boundaries of the map and venture into the normally generated terrain.
- You are allowed to survive in any way you can think of, within the rules. This means that mining, crafting, and placing blocks are allowed.
- You are allowed to use spider string wool and sheep wool to craft beds and other items.
The maps are filled with devious designs, deadly traps, hidden monster spawners and a whole heap of other dangers, all placed and made in the name of challenge!
Super Hostile maps are balanced around vanilla minecraft, so most mods should not be used if you want a challenge, however mods that are “allowed” are these:
- Mods that let you chop trees at the base or in other ways.
- Mods that make torches give light when held in your hand.
- Mods that don’t affect gameplay.
- Mods that make Endermen not pick up blocks.
I have included several maps in this post, the first few of the series:
Super Hostile 01: Sea of Flame II – This is the first map in the series (or a remake of it). It is in the easy respawn category, and is open-world.
Super Hostile 03: Infernal Sky II – This is the third map in the series, the second has been taken down while it is being worked on. Also a remake of the original Infernal Sky, this map also has easy respawn, but is linear in the beginning, then branches out later on.
Super Hostile 04: The Kaizo Caverns – The fourth map in the series, is similar to the third. It has easy respawn, and is linear-branching.
Super Hostile 07: Legendary – The seventh map. The fifth has been scrapped for the time being, and the sixth is being worked on as a remake, so it is not recommended to play. This map, the seventh, features a variety of environments, and the name refers to the size and scale of the map. One of the longer CTM map, it should provide a challenge for even veteran players. It is described as having easy respawn and is linear-branching.
For more info, and the rest of the maps, check out the official forum thread.
NOTE: Some of the maps may be slightly buggy in Minecraft 1.8. If you are stuck in the beginning or later on, I recommend you Open to LAN, go to creative (/gamemode 1), then unstuck yourself. That, or use Minecraft 1.7.10.
How to install the Super Hostile Maps for Minecraft:
- Download the map.
- Go to your %appdata%/.minecraft folder.
- Open the “saves” folder.
- Unzip the map(s) you downloaded, and put the unzipped folder into the saves folder.
- That is it! The map(s) should now be installed and ready to be played, so have fun and enjoy!
Here is a Let’s Play of the first Super Hostile Map, Sea of Flame II:
- Super Hostile Sea of Flame II Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- Super Hostile Sea of Flame II Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- Super Hostile Infernal Sky II Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- Super Hostile Infernal Sky II Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- Super Hostile The Kaizo Caverns Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- Super Hostile The Kaizo Caverns Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- Super Hostile Legendary Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- Super Hostile Legendary Map for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)