OptiFine HD FPS Boost is an optimization mod for Minecraft. It comes with full support for HD textures and gives you control of lots of other options. Every little aspect of graphic can be configured. When you open the menu for the first time, you will notice the difference as you will have plenty of ways to tweak your Minecraft performance.
If you like to tweak things, or just like to have a little more control, this is the mod for you. It’s also very good for people who wants the maximum graphic settings in Minecraft.
Important! If you are already using HD Textures, HD font or BetterGrass with MCPatcher, then follow these steps to prevent possible “black screen“:
- Temporarily go back to the Default Texture Pack.
- Uninstall the HD Textures, HD Fonts, and Better Grass mods from the MCPatcher. These are included in OptiFine.
- Set Graphics to Fancy.
- Install OptiFine and test with the Default Texture Pack to make sure everything is working.
- Select your previous texture pack and graphics settings.
- Run Minecraft and play.
If installing OptiFine with other mods, always make sure to install OptiFine as the last. One exception is mods which are designed to be installed after OptiFine and say so in their install instructions.
OptiFine is not compatible with The Aether and CCTV.
Maximum FPS settings:
- Graphics: Fast
- Performance: Max FPS
- Smooth Lighting: OFF
- Render Distance: Short/Tiny
- AdvancedOpenGL: Fast
- Animations: All OFF
- Clouds: OFF
- Stars: OFF
- Fog: OFF
- Sky: OFF
General tips for a faster Minecraft experience
- Download the latest Java build. Minecraft should run smoother with less lag.
- Set “Limit framerate” to Max FPS. The limiter is so implemented that it always decreases the FPS.
- Set the Java process to higher priority
- Update LWJGL.
- Lauch Minecraft with less memory. Usually Minecraft does not need more than 350 MB. It runs fine on all settings with the default texture pack. By default java allocates way too much memory (1GB) which may get swapped to disk and the overall performance may suffer. To start Minecraft with less memory:
- Download and start Magic Launcher.
- Click Setup, click tab Advanced.
- Enter 350 in the field “Memory”.
- Click OK.
See all features
- FPS boost
- decreases lag spikes and smooths gameplay
- doubling the FPS is normal
- Support for HD Textures
- HD textures and HD fonts (MCPatcher not needed)
- custom colors
- custom terrain and item textures
- animated terrain and item textures
- custom HD Font character widths
- custom block color palettes
- unlimited texture size
- custom lighting
- Variable Render Distance
- from Tiny to Extreme (2 x Far) in 16m steps
- sun, moon and stars are visible in Tiny and Short distance
- Configurable Smooth Lighting
- from 1% smooth lighting without shadows
- to 100% smooth lighting with full shadows
- Performance: VSync
- Synchronizes framerate with monitor refresh rate, to remove split frames and smoothen gameplay
- Smart Advanced OpenGL
- more efficient, less artifacts
- Fast faster, some artifacts still visible
- Fancy slower, avoids visual artifacts
- Fog control
- Fog: Fancy, Fast, OFF
- Fog start: Near, Far
- Visual effect which makes distant objects look better by smoothing the texture details
- Mipmap level OFF, 1, 2, 3, Max
- Mipmap type Nearest, Linear
- AA level OFF, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 (depends on hardware support)
- Smooths jagged lines and sharp color transitions
- Anisotropic Filtering
- Restores details in mipmapped textures
- AF level OFF, 2, 4, 8, 16 (depends on hardware support)
- Better Grass
- Fixes grass blocks side texture to match surrounding grass terrain
- Better Snow
- Random Mobs
- Clear Water
- Fixes transparent blocks textures to match surrounding snow terrain
- Clear, transparent water with good visibility underwater
- Use random mob textures if available in the texture pack
- Natural Textures
- Connected Textures
- Connects textures for glass, glass panes, sandstone and bookshelf
- Removes the gridlike pattern created by repeating blocks of the same type. Uses rotated and flipped variants of the base block texture
- FPS control
- Smooth FPS stabilizes FPS by flushing the graphics driver buffers
- Smooth Input fixes stuck keys, slow input and sound lag by setting correct thread priorities
- Chunk Loading Control
- Load Far loads the world chunks at distance Far, allows fast render distance switching
- Preloaded Chunks defines an area in which no new chunks will be loaded
- Dynamic Updates loads more chunks per frame when the player is standing still
- Chunk Updates per Frame allows for faster world loading
- Configurable animations
- Water Animated OFF, Dynamic, ON
- Lava Animated OFF, Dynamic, ON
- Fire Animated OFF, ON
- Portal Animated OFF, ON
- Redstone Animated OFF, ON
- Explosion Animated OFF, ON
- Flame Animated OFF, ON
- Smoke Animated OFF, ON
- Void Particles OFF, ON
- Water Particles OFF, ON
- Rain Splash OFF, ON
- Portal Particles OFF, ON
- Dripping Water/Lava OFF, ON
- Terrain Animated OFF, ON
- Items Animated OFF, ON
- Configurable Details
- Clouds Default, Fast, Fancy
- Cloud Height from 0% to 100%
- Trees Default, Fast, Fancy
- Grass Default, Fast, Fancy
- Water Default, Fast, Fancy
- Rain and Snow Default, Fast, Fancy
- Sky ON, OFF
- Stars ON, OFF
- Sun & Moon ON, OFF
- Depth Fog ON, OFF
- Weather ON, OFF
- Swamp Colors ON, OFF
- Smooth Biomes ON, OFF
- Custom Fonts ON, OFF
- Custom Colors ON, OFF
- Show Capes ON, OFF (supports HD capes)
- Fullscreen Resolution
- Configurable fullscreen resolution
- Fast Debug Info removes lagometer from debug screen
- Debug Profiler removes profiler from debug screen
- Time Control
- Default, Day Only or Night Only works in only in Creative mode
- Configurable Autosave interval
- A fix for the famous Lag Spike of Death
How to Install OptiFine HD FPS Boost for Minecraft
- Start Magic Launcher
- Click “Setup”
- Select Environment “1.6.2″
- Click “Add” -> select the OptiFine ZIP file.
- Click “OK”
- Login and play.
Can also be installed with MCPatcher and Forge.
Also check out our how to install Mods tutorial.
There are currently three versions of OptiFine:
- OptiFine HD B4 Ultra for Minecraft
Includes all the features (Smooth, Multi-Core and AA) and is highly configurable.
- OptiFine HD B4 Standard for Minecraft
This version has built-in support for HD fonts, HD textures and BetterGrass. MCPatcher is not needed.
- OptiFine HD B4 Light for Minecraft
The light edition improves FPS, especially for slower computers. No HD features or extended configurations included. Not compatible with ModLoader and Forge.
- OptiFine HD U B2 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- OptiFine HD U B2 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- OptiFine HD U B1 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- OptiFine HD U B1 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- OptiFine HD U B0 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 1)
- OptiFine HD U B0 Ultra for Minecraft 1.8 (Mirror 2)
- OptiFine HD U A8 Ultra for Minecraft 1.7.2
- OptiFine HD U A7 Ultra for Minecraft 1.7.2
- OptiFine HD U A6 Ultra for Minecraft 1.7.2
- OptiFine HD B4 Ultra for Minecraft 1.6.4
- OptiFine HD B4 Ultra for Minecraft 1.6.2
- OptiFine HD B4 Standard for Minecraft 1.6.2
- OptiFine HD B4 Light for Minecraft 1.6.2