Are you craving more companions in your (Minecraft) life? Then the Pig Companion Mod is perfect for you!
It lets you tame any pig in the world, similar to ocelots and wolves, and they will then follow you around and defend you with their life, if need be.
The mod requires Minecraft Forge in order to function, so download and install that before installing this mod, if you haven’t already.
In order to tame a pig, you must first put a helmet on it. This is done by equipping a helmet in your hand, and then right-clicking the animal.
The helmets you can put on pigs are leather, iron, gold, and diamond. Chain helmets does not work on pigs.
This doesn’t tame it though, only allows it to be tamed. To fully tame a pig, feed it seeds after you have put a helmet on it.
To make pigs follow you, hold wheat in your hand, this will make them go wherever you go.
Now, which mobs can pigs kill? Most of them, really, but some mobs are more dangerous than others:
- Endermen will make short work of several pigs, to reliably take one down, you will need 2-3 diamond armored pigs.
- Zombie Pigmen are also dangerous due to their weapons, but 1 diamond armored pig should be able to take down a Zombie Pigman alone.
- Blazes are not very effective against your pigs, because your pigs are fast and can dodge the fireballs, so 1 diamond armored pig should be able to take it down with no issues, and several lesser armored should also make short work of a blaze.
- Cave Spiders will poison your pigs, but a diamond armored pig should be able to survive this with no problem, and take the spider down.
- Creepers and pigs will stay away from each other, so pigs won’t suicide Creepers, and Creepers will ignore pigs. Taking these down are your problem.
- Ghasts can’t be killed by pigs, since pigs can’t fly (yet..).
- Magma Cubes are no problem for pigs, but it may take some time for them to kill one.
- Silverfish are easily dispatched by pigs, don’t you worry about them.
- Skeletons often misses pigs because they are so small, so they are easily killed by your pigs.
- Slimes are the same as Magma Cubes, they can’t hurt pigs, and so will be killed by them, although it may take a while.
- Spiders can be deadly for pigs, because they both are small and can hit each other, so take care around spiders.
- Zombies won’t dare to hit your pigs, because that would make them stronger Zombie Pigmen, so zombies are no danger to pigs.
Now here is a list of the various strength levels of the different helmets, the various helmets give your pig more health, the better the helmet, the more health it gets:
- Leather helmets gives your pigs 1.5x more health.
- Iron helmets gives your pigs 3x more health.
- Gold helmets gives your pigs 3x more health.
- Diamond helmets gives your pigs 5x more health.
It is currently not possible to increase the attack damage of the pigs, but that is being worked on.
There are also some new crafting recipes found in this mod, which are as follows:
Can be applied to Super Pigs, Armored Pigs, and Companion Pigs.
Potato on a stick:
Your pigs will follow this (good for when you mount one).
The mod might be a bit unstable and crash the first time you create a new world, simply try to create another one to fix it.
Another important thing is that if you tame an armored pig while you are playing on peaceful difficulty, the pig will disappear as if it was a hostile mob, so play on at least easy if you want this mod to work.
How to install the Pig Companion Mod for Minecraft:
- Download the mod.
- You will need Minecraft Forge installed.
- Open your minecraft folder (in Windows: Start -> Run -> “%appdata%\.minecraft”).
- Copy the mod .jar file(s) you downloaded to the “mods” folder found inside the .minecraft folder.
- Done and ready, Pig Companion Mod should now be ready and operational, enjoy!
Here is video showcase, where popular Minecraft player Sky is checking out the Pig Companion Mod: