Here is another minimap mod like Rei’s minimap mod, which adds a very useful feature from many games to Minecraft: The Minimap.
The minimap is in the upper right corner, and shows your location, the 4 different hemispheres (North, West, South and East) and which way you are facing.
Zan’s Minimap also features a cavemap, a nethermap, and a radar for mobs and other points of interest.
The controls are as follows:
Press “M” to open the options for the map (default key) where you can tune it to your liking
Pressing “B” will let you add a waypoint to the map, which has many uses, can be used to find certain things, to mark points of interests on your map and much more.
“Z” will zoom the minimap, cycling through the various levels of zoom.
To open the full map, simply press “X”, and unlike the crafted map, this shows places you haven’t explored yet.
There is also an unbound key that toggles mobs, simply bind the key you want to it to toggle if you want to see mobs on the map or not.
In the menu you can do all sorts of things, like hiding the minimap, changing its location (between one of the four corners of the screen), chose whether or not it shall display coordinates, change the size, make it static and more. It’s pretty easy customize and change to your liking.
I would say that this, or Rei’s minimap, is a must-have mod for the more serious minecrafter, as it is very useful.
However, it also makes the game easier to navigate, by a large margin, so if you want the game to be harder, you should probably avoid this.
Zan’s Minimap Mod does not require Forge to work, but it is easier to install with it.
Included are both the modloader/Forge version and the standalone version.
Here you can see how it looks in-game (upper right corner):
How to install Zan’s Minimap Mod:
- Download the mod
- If you don’t have Forge, and want to use it, then download and install Forge for Minecraft (remember to select the “Forge” profile in the Minecraft launcher)
- For Forge:
- Open your minecraft.jar folder (in Windows it’s in “%appdata%\.minecraft\bin\”, if you use the vanilla launcher)
- Copy the mod from wherever you downloaded it from to the “mod” folder found in your “.minecraft” folder
- Without Forge, the installation instructions are included in the download (read the readme.txt).
- Enjoy your very useful new minimap!