The Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack is a 64×64 pack with a focus on realism, but one that isn’t too realistic for the style of Minecraft, one that doesn’t look out of place. Many of the other realistic looking resource packs often have such high-res and detailed textures that it just looks odd with all the blocky models and stuff, this pack seeks to fix that by making textures just realistic enough.
As of writing, the pack is about a year old, but is already pretty popular and steadily gaining more followers. Finlandia also features 3D models that you can exclusively use in Minecraft 1.8+, so stuff like crafting benches, bookshelves, doors, ladders, and more, have received a 3D face-lift and now look a lot better than the 2D sprites or textures they had before. There are plans to make more stuff 3D, but currently the list of 3D items and models look like this:
3D Model “Blocks”:
- Brown Mushrooms.
- Red Mushrooms.
- Sugar Canes.
- Allium Flowers.
- Carrots that are growing.
Potatoes that are growing.
- Command Blocks.
- Crafting Tables.
- Enchanting Tables.
- Iron Bars.
- Iron Doors.
- Wooden Doors.
3D Item Models:
- Diamond Tools and Weapons (Swords, Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels and Hoes).
- Golden Tools and Weapons(Swords, Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels and Hoes).
- Iron Tools (Swords, Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels and Hoes).
- Stone Tools (Swords, Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels and Hoes).
- Wooden Tools (Swords, Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels and Hoes).
- Fishing Rods.
- Golden Apples.
- Enchanted Apples.
- Poisonous Potatoes.
- Baked Potatoes.
This also helps to give the game a more interesting and realistic look, and makes a lot of stuff look better. As the Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack uses these 3D models, auses 64×64 resolution textures, expect it to demand a bit more out of your PC, as it requires more resources to run. You should only worry if you’re already having trouble running Minecraft though, as it isn’t that much extra it requires.
The pack is still a work in progress, so not everything is done yet, most mobs and all armors still need to be redone and updated. Progress is being made fast though, and the pack is definitively still being worked on.
The Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack is a very fine realism pack, it looks good so far, and doesn’t put too much of a strain on your PC. It still requires work, but is still very much usable in its current state, and if you want realism in your game but find that other pack clashes with the Minecraft style too much, you’ve come to the right place.
Here is a comparison between the Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack and vanilla Minecraft:
How to install the Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack for Minecraft:
- Download the Resource Pack.
- Recommended: install MCPatcher or OptiFine.
- Start Minecraft.
- Press Esc and go to options.
- Click on “Resource Packs”.
- Click on “Open resource pack folder”.
- Put the .zip file that you downloaded into the resource pack folder.
- The resource pack should now appear in Minecraft, now choose the resource pack and click “Done”.
- That is all! The Finlandia Photo Realistic Resource Pack should now be installed and activated, so enjoy and have fun!
Here is a longer video showcasing an earlier, non-3D, version of the resource pack when used with the SEUS Shaders: